As a critical thinker (thanks to three years of high school debate) and a woman with much time on her hands for thinking, I have been processing. I have laid all of my adoption worries at the feet of Jesus, but that doesn't stop me from ruminating, or sometimes wavering in my faith. As the good book says "I do believe...help my unbelief!"
One issue that has stood at the forefront of my mind since the beginning has been the question "Why are you adopting and especially from Ethiopia?" This question is put to every adopting parent going through the homestudy process by their social worker. It was not difficult for us to come up with a really nice sounding, very truthful answer. We want another child. We do not believe we should go through another pregnancy. We believe God has called us to adopt from Ethiopia.
Later, I wanted to bask a little bit in the sweet vision of seeing a baby placed in my arms. So I would search out Internet videos that showed babies being brought to their new families. Then (mistakenly perhaps) I would scroll down and read the opinions of other viewers and I would be confounded, often just plain dumb struck. Not everyone supported international adoption. I began to ask: is there more to this adoption then simply falling in love with a child and bringing them into your home?
What I have read or heard:
1. Americans are "buying" babies. They want to purchase beautiful baby girls. They are not interested in older children or boys.
2. Adoption "exacerbates" the problem of abandoned children in Africa because families will see abandonment as a good option for children they can not care for.
3. African orphans are better off being raised by extended family members.
4. Adoption can not help Africa. It would be better if all the families who are adopting gave the same amount of money they are paying for their adoption to supported organizations that help Africans received food and medicine.
5. Americans are adopting from Africa because it is trendy.
(sigh)
Should we have an answer for those who might challenge our decision with such statements? What would it be? Well, I guess that means we have to look at the above mentioned question again from a different angle. And we have, and I just want to honestly say that we do not have all the answers. But if you are reading this and wondering if we (Ryan and I) are aware of these issues, we are. If you are wondering if these statements have influenced our decision to adopt from Ethiopia, they have not.
Maybe what makes adoption so special is that we are now listening in to the conversation over what should happen in countries like Africa? Won't Ethiopia always be connected to our family in a way it never was before?
Well, maybe I have over processed this whole thing. I really am a simple gal. I really do love being a Mom and simply can't wait to have another baby in my arms. Ultimately, God is orchestrating this entire adoption and becuase he is a good God I can only see good things coming.
Thursday, April 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment