Sunday, January 18, 2009

Good Gifts

In Oct. of 2008 I experienced a miscarriage. I was about three months pregnant when I started bleeding. A week later an ultrasound confirmed that our baby was gone. During this time a couple in the church we have recently started attending announced that they were adopting a baby girl from Ethiopia (they have four sons). The pastor asked what people could do to help the dire situation in Ethiopia (currently there are 3.4 million orphans there). This couple simply stated "people can adopt". I was still pregnant at the time when they had this interview, and although I was thrilled that we were having our fourth baby, I do not enjoy pregnancy. I was so shocked by their statement. I had not really thought that adoption was something that anyone could do. In my mind adoption was for folks that were in special circumstances or had special needs. Ryan and I had always thought about adopting someday. We could hardly stand to see any child in need or being neglected. But, we were healthy and had had pretty much uneventful pregnancies, WE did not need to adopt. Then God changed everything, including our hearts. When I lost the baby a host of other issues with my health surfaced. I would have to take painful injections twice a day during pregnancy for a blood clotting disorder. I would risk having multiple miscarriages due to the same disorder. The list goes on. God delivered me safely through my time in the valley of the shadow of death and I knew I couldn't go back there again any time soon. It took Ryan and I probably about a month to realize that what that couple said during service that day was a direct calling from God for us to adopt. I knew right away that God had a baby who needed a mommy, waiting for me, in Ethiopia. And I was a mommy that had lost a baby.
I know that my baby is in my Father's house. I know it's a big, big house...where you can play football. There's a big, big table with lots and lots of food. He/she is in good hands. My baby in Ethiopia is not. By the time I get her she will have experienced the worst kind of pain on this earth. And I will be taking her from her home land. She will have lost many good things. But I can promise her that God is the giver of good gifts. Because despite losing my baby I have been blessed by him in so many ways. A great husband, beautiful children, loving family and hope for the future. Not to mention his amazing gift of grace. He overcame death and brought victory. I hope this new chance of life for her will show her that God gives good gifts to those who love him. I know, because He gave me her.
Today the friends I mentioned earlier showed us pictures of the baby girl they are adopting. I was very emotional. I'm sure I looked like a goof ball. But, I couldn't help but feel this tremendous feeling of happiness. She was beautiful and so precious. I was so thankful that God was clearly providing for them and for us. An Ethiopian friend for our daughter and a Godly family that is diligently leading others towards adoption. Good, good gifts from a good, good God.

2 comments:

The Nagel Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lala said...

I'm not sure what to say! I was so moved by your post and am unbearable excited to meet your new baby girl! And if you need.. I can be badass enough for the both of us!..